Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Amateur ichthyology in Vancouver: 2008 flashback




Flashback: Summer 2008

Back in the summer of 2008, Dimitri and I (later Vasso too) spent a full month or more in Vancouver, my home city. "We" were writing my PhD then and stayed at my Sister's and Brother's homes. It was a memorable because my son was wild about fishing and I really enjoyed the fish-watching.

I share some photos, most of them personal, but I guess you get the idea.  An 11 year old kid really should be exposed to the wonders of the aqua-world in this way. And we are so much richer for it.


FISHES OF ENGLISH BAY - WEST VANCOUVER









WITH THE FIRST NATIONS PEOPLE OF THE HOPE VALLEY - FRASER RIVER






WITH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT RIVER FISHEREIS ECOLOGISTS ON THE FRASER





BURRARD INLET EAST VANCOUVER





CUT-THROAT TROUT FISHING AT COSTA'S CREEK - WEST VANCOUVER



WITH FAMILY




Spiny dogfish, not caught by us - it needs special gear and is targetted by the oriental fishers on the Kits jetty. 

SEYMOUR VALLEY AND SEYMOUR RIVER - NORTH VANCOUVER


And a final shot of my sadly lost friend Volker Bodegom who passed away in 2018. We would often go to these swiming holes on the Seymour when I was a student back in the days...We miss you Volker!